Saturday, April 20, 2013

Otherness

 
Once again our country convulses with yet another social problem. Last month people lived in tents for two days in order to get a seat to hear historic arguments concerning same sex marriage. The outcome seems sure under the promises of the Constitution; the right to privacy, to equal treatment under the law and the pursuit of happiness.

While watching a Swedish movie about three men thrown together in Greenland, my thoughts turned to Otherness once again. What happens when three Swedes find themselves living in Greenland, a landscape of ice and snow, hunting animals for a fur company based in Oslo?

Larsen,a tender hearted poet, joins Radbaek, more wolf than man, one who has killed his wife's lover. Holm, the middle of these two extreme personalities, does the scientific work for another company. But he fails because conflict is inevitable in this violent ping pong game of life.

 Zero Kelvin dramatizes the struggle we all encounter when facing alien circumstances, i.e., geography, climate, a new work place, a "new" person in our lives as neighbors and acquaintances. Or could the person we loved become someone "different” than we anticipated?
 
The three fall into conflict about everything from Larsen's poetry about his true love and Radbaek's view of human nature as "red tooth and claw," a world of betrayal, hatred and even murder. Holm can only arbitrate, balancing precariously on a tight rope trying to separate two antitypes. But in this universe of ice, there can be no middle ground. And that inability to come to terms can make all the difference in our lives.

Ironically, the film 's language [fair warning: terrible language] was far more Other than I choose to tolerate, I watched, spellbound, by the inevitable decline of Larsen's sensibility, what his girlfriend calls "soulfulness," into just another copy of Radbaek. "You have become me," the wolf-man tells him.

And Larsen does. The poet shoots Radbaek when he finds him beating Larsen's favorite sled dog to death with a rock, then returns with more bullets to finish him off. "You will never find peace and soul-full-ness again," Radaek mutters through bloody lips.

Celebrating Easter this year I thought about The Christ, who was to the Jews, after all, too much Otherness. All the wrong trappings: Nazareth, carpenter's son, not a member of the Sanhedrin, a "religious revolutionary."

So in the end we must anticipate Others and Otherness--the alien. Joseph Conrad's characters can't survive alone--especially in the jungle. In the "Outpost of Progress," solitude, jungle lushness and fevers, bring murder-suicide. For some of our children and adults yet another meeting seems more than they can bear. And for loved ones, sometimes even their own loving family is more than they can bear. Or even a classroom: Rules.Work. The redundancy that builds character and patience and good citizens.

My dad always said, "never say you won't live__________. "Go where the work is.” We all can't live in Orem. Someone is going to have to move to Alabama--or Nevada. And with that traumatic move comes neighbors whose skin is not white, whose marriage style is same-sex, with children. The climate personifies the Mojave desert. You could live miles away from family and too broke to bridge the gap. You may have to learn Spanish. Or Icelandic.

How large is your world? How much Otherness [anything that is not me] can you tolerate and perhaps even love?



2 comments:

  1. I love this, Papa. Because I've been able to live in different parts of the country, and even do a bit of traveling, I've drawn a huge circle around "otherness." How interesting to think that those wonderful people who have intersected with my life--may think of ME as part of their "otherness?" I've always appreciated your ability, along with Mom's, to look deeply and affectionately within the souls of all God's children. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but as the winter years pile up I wonder if I was really understood. Certainly by my children to one degree or another. As I said, the blog fills in the gaps and Gene's magnificent biography captures the inner life of the mind. I do grow impatient, hoping grandchildren can grasp what amounts to 73 years of experience, reading and difficult times. Marcus says the last blogs grow more pensive [he may even mean "dark" when he said he mean "serious." He might say I'm seeking "higher ground." I find it hard to realize that we all have our own lives. Austin could not last forever but remains a place--a play to go to in my restless mind. Yes, to,e works us and the contentment of which Jill hopes has finally come to me. I am more tired, but closer to sacred things. I interviewed for my recommend for Ashley's marriage in August. 3 years since my stent now. The foreign films have nearly replaced what was two hours of reading. But my prayerful interaction edifies and directs my prayer life during the day. What of the lost women and babies of the world; the street children of 'istanbul" and "San paulo" [20 million people]. Lost before they are found; nearly destroyed before they were created. You are too fragile to know this kind of "Otherness." It would break your heart, so I must trudge on and digest the mortality left me.If God looks on it all and weeps at least I can attempt the same. But my conversation shrinks. You children and Sharon and Allen Keele and Michael spell me off and bring me back to Samuel Johnson;s "coffee house" late night conversations about "last things." Something no one wants to talk about.

    ReplyDelete