Monday, November 14, 2011

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

My mother, Dollie, was a farm girl until she married Dad, in 1939. Her mother, Lucy Jauregui, was also a farm girl and remained one. Born in Del Mar to Basque immigrants, she worked the critters and drove tractor until her early death [55] in 1954.

In my mind’s eye Lucy remains forever young, pigtails swinging, as she walks the freshly turned loam, singing a Spanish folksong, oblivious to the heartache, which lay ahead.

She lived and died in the same house, too young when she married at 15 to fathom the responsibility that came with each of the five children who followed in quick succession.

She grew restless, living with a man whose maturity could not even match her own. She became, in R.S. Thomas’ words, “the strong body, the safe island, Where men may come, sons and lovers, Daring the cold seas of her eyes.” Those “cold seas” I knew nothing of as her “first grandchild,” the crown I wore, the abrazar that I’ve never forgotten, “her wise lap” my refuge.

Love is knowing someone and loving them in spite of the knowing.

My earliest encounter with that notion of what academics call “unconditional love,” I learned from a plaque above my mother’s stove. I give you Edgar Guest, whose simple lyrics graced many homes in the 40s and 50s. “A friend is not a fella who is taken in by sham. A friend is one who knows our faults and doesn’t give a damn.” An early reader, self-schooled on Prince Valiant and the lush illustrations in the Sunday paper, I began to read stuff my parents probably didn’t know I was able to understand.

Guest’s declaration of unconditional friendship bound me to my Grandma Lucy, my “safe island” of another kind of geography. When her letter came, announcing her second marriage to a man I always feared, it was for me, the crazy decision of a girlish woman acting like an irresponsible teenager. I hadn’t lost a grandma—I had lost a grandpa. That other fella would never be anything to me:  He was Edgar Guest’s “sham.”

But the ranch remained, where Grandma and "that guy" lived--still a constant refuge.  She was still my Grandma, my Lucy with those Spanish diamond eyes.


A memory floats into my mind as I write tonight.  Lucy and I went down to the shed to milk Rosa, her cow.  While she milked, she told me about growing up on the land and explained to me how she chose marriage over school.  "Larry, my Darling First Grandson, we have you, because your Grandpa and I had your mother."  As we walked back to the house, the fog rolled gently from the sea, quietly enveloping us.  She took my hand tightly and carried the milk pail with the other.  "Larry, we won't forget this little vacation, will we?"  I nodded.  She stopped, knelt down, and kissed me on the cheek.  


And we never forgot.


Have you ever wondered why God’s gifts appear, at least, to be random—at least random to us? I love that so-called “inconsistency” with which God distributes upon genius poets and composers, craftsmen, scientist and inventors. Why would my Lucy, with the “cold sea eyes” and the generous lap also have a sixth sense gift? But that gift, mind you, didn’t help anyone.

“I’m worried about Jack,” she said. Jack, her oldest son, the glue that held this tottering, now broken, family together. Jack, whose artistic hand illustrated everything he did. If he wrote a paper [always a brilliant paper] on John Greenleaf Whittier, there was a drawing of the very likeness of the poet. Jack, the student at San Diego State; Jack the quiet, solid one. “I’m worried,” she said.

Jack, killed in a yet-to-be explained car wreck. The driver? The “Sham Fella’s” one-eyed son. I remember the telegram to Dollie—yellow paper, black print, and the message short: “Jack killed tonight. Love, Mommy [Lucy].” We climbed into one of several cars Dad kept trading up and down for, looking for the “right rod,” he said. But the war was on. Even at 4-years-old, I remember the “consolation,” drive—into the Mojave Desert, the wind whipping our Blue Beetle, as Pop called it. Mom wept, her face turned to the glass. Lucy knew but what she didn’t know was that the complete unraveling of the family would accelerate.

The Sham probably didn’t worry. He had 200 acres, worth 350 million dollars now, but not then, 350 million, that is.

Then came the dream. Gene, Lucy's second son, worked at Convair, building the B-29s that set all of Japan afire. A drinker, restless on those warm ocean breezy evenings, he came home late. “I wanna join, Mom, everyone else is over there. My military waiver isn’t enough for me anymore.”

Gene trains fast, is flown to Scotland for six weeks additional training, and then finds himself in what history would call the Battle of the Bulge. Lucy dreams uneasily, night after night. Then, one morning, her braided hair combed out and touching her waist, she leaves the hairpins and comes down the stairs. “Gene’s dead,” she says solemnly. The “cold seas” of her eyes, now the Red Sea, full of salt.” Irene, the daughter, says later, “Mom said, ‘I saw Gene, his head full of blood. ‘Mom,’ he cried out.’” Two days later, another telegram, yellow paper, with the print nearly the same. “Gene killed at Bastogne. Mommy.”

Again the comfort drive. Dad quiet, lost for words. Mom searches for answers. “Maybe it’s for the better. I think he was already an alcoholic. Maybe this is a blessing … maybe.”

How did Lucy cope? “In her wide lap … a quiet music, hers being the voice “That coaxes time back to the shadows.” The Farm House, huge and filled with the smell of apple pie and old wood, the creaky stairs, the musty smell of over a century. Ghosts. And an attic full of strange treasure. A month before she died Lucy took me to the secret attic. The Sham is out searching for water. “If we only had water,” he muses, his mole-riddled,  massive body and razor-sharp voice gone for the day. Peace—alone with Grandma Lucy. She hands me the German helmet and bayonet Gene sent home. Jack’s ashes sit quietly in an urn. Or not? Later stories place him under the Box Elder tree in the circle drive, closer to Grandma Jauregui, where everyone felt more safe, away form The Sham.

What flitting dreams haunted Lucy once the Farm House emptied? Only Roy remained. Black, shiny eyes, “cold as the seas”? Glared at The Sham Grandpa, the oversized Swiss water-seeking, land-grabbing, brother-in-law, now the husband and the landowner.

Dollie has been “loaned” to Lucy’s sister in Beaumont, California, sent there because of a promise of “braces” for her teeth, a stable, Basque environment:  Lots of love. Five years pass blissfully. Then death. With Dollie’s aunt gone, she is left to be raised as Pip, in Great Expectations tells us, “by the hand,” the hand of his angry sister.  Not mom’s sister:  her cousin, Juanita Arro—cold, sizzling, black-haired banshee with a voice, yes, like a razor. ET enters and begins to take over. “Mommy” never calls. No Farm House to return to. Time. They begin raising each other. But that’s Another Family Story.

Roy grows slowly but is witty—and dangerous. One autumn afternoon he takes his trusty .22 rifle and climbs the hill that towers over the Farm House. “We might catch water draining down into that gulley beyond the hill,” says The Husband-Brother-in-Law. He eats breakfast, heads for the door, water-douching stick in hand.

Roy takes aim and fires. The tiny bullet hits the door jam, The Sham falls back into the house. Angry, yes, always angry. This time, though, he’s scared and Roy is on a Greyhound bus that night, on his way to Dollie, to Bishop … and the Mojave Wind.

9 comments:

  1. ever hear of the term "cliff hanger?" I hope the sequel is soon.

    at least two !! I don't know how to make a half !

    donny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donny, Roy is the puzzle we put together in earlier episodes. I'm not saying that attempted murder was the high point for Roy, but what we know from earlier blogs remains sad. No light shines on Roy, as you acutely noticed in his haunting picture. It's all in the eyes. I know you will appreciate the rare sepia shot from the blog bank of Lucy. The face hidden, not even revealing that inscrutable Basque look, those faraway green eyes. I don't know How complex she was and why she did what she did.Was she merely looking for happiness? Mom felt something compelling when we sealed her to Frank, the Real Grandpa, who does not appear in the blogs. You don't have to know much about a person in order to love them, do you? Literature [only a half a dozen James novels, where "true" depth lies] has taught me that nothing is simple. We all possess that "deep well" Chomsky thought he discovered. I think it was Parley Pratt who argued that knowing and loving God reveals Others to us. The Eternal Triangle: God, Self, Others. Dynamic, organic. No, Donny, Roy was attacked by wolves early on, perhaps God's mercy. Too bad it wasn't the day he married, that short story of Tolstoy's where the wolves track the newly weds. Speaking of wolves, I saw three beautiful black wolves, in my room. The showed their teeth on Sunday, then curled up for a couple of hours. Keats would say it was a comfort having them lying at his feet. I dreamed of Decker last night--but he was mad at me--and mean , in general. What? A Demon's Trick, aye?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read Roy Agonistes after I wrote my first comment (but not Princess Casamassima) and got off the cliff.

    Maybe Roy Agonistes is really a sequel and appeared before his time.

    Or Lucy is a late comer and could have occurred earlier.

    In a way your sequences are like Huxley's Samson--"Eyeless in Gaza" where there are dates to keep us on track (If I am remembering the right novel. I couldn't find my Eyeless copy to verify). I may have to resort to Amazon. I want to re-read that one and avoid James altogether. I did find Point Counterpoint and may start with that. Huxley is on my mind.

    I started Dandelion Wine, but winter has already gotten too firm a hold up here, so it sits on my desk with a Rufous Hummingbird book mark languishing in silence.

    I thought this morning as I walked that, like you, as oldest of four children, I should be entitled to die first, but from the health histories of my siblings and your Lucy-like forecastings I will probably be the last--81 and no end in sight--so I can write their Eulogies after they are gone instead of before as you may be doing.

    Keep it up.

    Great pnoto. Did Lucy speak Euskara?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could say that inspiration that poured into me had also come in some chronological order. That raises a question. I think every "for the people" revelation naturally came as an answer to a question and seems to have a chronological order. But do personal nods and prods came in the same way? What about the people we come to love and know? Is there a chronology to that pattern? I'm lost--because there just might be order everywhere. I just "called 'um as I felt" 'um, so there never was a grand plan, certainly in pre-meditated way. I wrote out of need, which is why Grandma Lucy [who did not speak Euskara] was really the prime project all along. Her failings set much of the Jauregie dominos falling, leading Dollie, for example, to ET. The Grand Plan was to try and discover people I will soon meet, yes. But the Real Plan was the Plan of Happiness. :I wanted to lay the groundwork for myself, if for no one else, that I have come to love and accept all of my family and friends as they were and as they are becoming. I sought diligently before, during and after each writing session to get "ratification" [Section 132] that my "association" and, in the case of the writing project, "performances and expectations" were acceptable.That happened, which is why, I believe that the three black wolves, as they say in Idaho, "don't scare me none."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had an art engagement to keep this morning, so have been slow to get back to you.

    I couldn't find "Point,Counterpoint," but my search turned up my beat-up copy of Eyeless (sorry, Amazon). My students asked me why I chose this novel to teach in English 112 which I did several times in my early teaching career--one note is dated 1-22-69. I said because of all the novels I had read, this was the only one that considered the process of true repentance. Should be a good one to bring into focus with my life at 81 and no end in sight.

    One of my favorite quotes is "You can do everything with bayonets except sit on them."

    The conversations between Anthony and Mark Staithes could be those between you and me.

    One of the wolves is Blanca. She's white. Black leg comes from Salinger's "Laughing Man": do I need to read "Nine Stories" again.

    They don't scare me much either. But the Idaho pack is growing faster than litigation can control.

    I am searching for people I want to reconcile with, but there aren't too many.

    I have been revisiting (in my mind) the areas of Mexico I was in as a young (too young) missionary and that has been fun.

    donny

    ReplyDelete
  6. fifteen pages revisiting "Eyeless," I realize my students were right in complaining. "Eyeless" was too much for them. It was too much for me, even. And probably still is. I may have had the intellect, but there were too many books I still hadn't/haven't read. You might be the ideal reader because you have read everything.

    Have you read "Eyeless?"

    donny

    ReplyDelete
  7. After a hundred pages of "Eyeless" I realize my students were right. What was I thinking assigning this book to them? At 18 I would have asked the same question if I had been assigned it.

    donny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nobody told me directly to be afraid of the Sham. I instinctively knew, and certainly overheard enough. That day, the only time I was alone with him, was on a swing attatched to a huge palm tree. Those thick, suntanned hands pushed me higher and higher to the sky.... I thought I would die from his abrupt fearful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the hands and always the voice. He made "sonny" sound more like "you sombitch" than anyone I've ever known. You see he had many titles, most if which Frank [Grandpa] and Roy authored. One I must add as tastefully as a form of incest can be entitled, was "husband and grandfather of the same child." Sounds like something out of the early Greeks. What would the Apostle Paul say? Dallin Oaks' study of the Carthage murderers of Joseph Smith works with . . . The SHAM's fate. They got political power and money. Wendy's bought the farmhouse, etc. The new millonaire-father-grandfather flourished, like the killers of JS. "We done a good thing for the community," one said, years later, prospering on his rich-soiled Missouri farm. No lightning, no voice from Heaven. They all, like the Sham, "done good." And he wouldn't even buy Lucy a headstone. It's a chunk of crumbling cement in Escondido. This, when I had health and mobility, I should have attended to. Shame on Larry.

    ReplyDelete