Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Indifference


The writer-poet Kathleen Norris, who had lived in both Hawaii and New York, left both havens and moved to the western Dakotas because her husband, a bi-polar disordered poet himself needed rest and simplicity. They moved into a small town where his parents owned an old farmhouse. The simplicity, yes the redundancy of the Dakota plains of wheat, provided balance and order in a once disordered life. But she had to reorder her life to match her husband's.

In her book Acedia and Me, she charts her own journey through the few years together in a town the size of Rigby, Idaho, and discusses her own coping mechanisms making that adjustment from the sea-smells and sounds of the ebb and flow of Pacific to the endless plains. 

She chose the word "acedia" because of its original use among early Christian monks, living for the most part in the Egyptian desert. Let me give you a laundry list of synonyms for this fancy Latin word, which the monks described as an almost daily attack of the "noonday demon." That mid-afternoon attack of weariness, boredom, even a kind of anxiety. My daughter, Lora, calls the later 4-7 evening hours, the "witching hours" every housewife/mother faces. I have to add that living alone as a newly crowned widower, the same witch found me during the same hours. Mornings were often joyous and always productive. Late afternoon always threatened, as my grandson says, to "suck," which, harsh as it sounds, just might be appropriate because that "sucking" sound seemed to pull vital intellectual and spiritual energy down some hidden drain. See if you have ever met one of these demons on a wintry afternoon in Rexburg [not Austin, where it is 5:00 p.m. and 67 degrees].

1. Poisoning of the will: a kind of paralysis of the emotions.

2. Indifference: "I couldn't care less."

3. A dangerous acquiescence to "evil:" Broaden "evil" to mean anything from what most of us call the opposite of righteousness. Could it be that weak impulse something  like surrendering to that last piece of cake you were saving for your husband? Note: I am averse to calling diet-breaking as "evil," however.

4. Disillusionment: This is the shifting or even sliding away from Your Center. One poet called it "spiritual/emotional drift. If you watch more than two reality shows, one of which is Jersey Shore or anything about the Kardashians, the demons are in your house. No matter how you define "demons."

5. Emotional "dryness:" This is the shriveling of the mind or soul and is close to "drift." This leads to paging through mindless magazines, playing solitaire on the computer for more than 30 minutes and simply surfing or texting. "What are you doing now?" "Help me decide what to eat." "Eat a chicken sandwich." [16 responses]. Garbage in, garbage out. And a whole generation of our children is quietly and assiduously rewiring their brains.

6. Ennui: This French word defies a sharp English definition, but malaise, restlessness, or even misdirected energy try to get close. This kind of unconcern the Germans call Gleichgueltigkeit, a word that seemed to haunt most of the Germans I met when I wanted to talk about Mormonism.

So we dissect the problem. What are a few possible solutions?

1. Such weariness with life often flies into your windows on dark clouds and dark, cold days. Seneca, the Roman philosopher, said, "it is your soul you need to change, not the climate."  Remember weather is a state of mind.  After 45 years in Rexburg I was still working on this one. And now I'm in Austin, Texas. Try a SAD special light. It helps.

2. Seek an inner life. For me this has always been meditation. The mixing of a rich religious imagination with sacred texts. The monks read [Lectio] and then questioned themselves where they stood with respect to divine counsel. This could mean turning off the computer and talking to yourself in a room alone. 

3. Lively, thought-provoking visual stimulation. Watch films that stimulate your mind! For me and Lora, Downton Abbey [PBS] lately.
 
4. Exercise: For Lora, yoga, for Alison and Heather, break-a-sweat cardio. For Marcus and me, walking [for me very slowly].

5. Work or hobbies. When my wife was ill and I could not leave the house, I spent several hours each day polishing furniture, vacuuming, etc. 

6. Music that soothes and enlivens. For me that's Pandora Radio online playing classical/religious music.

7. And finally, if necessary, take medication if the depression takes you into an abyss you can't climb out of.

8. Routine. For me it's meditation and reading my scriptures, then Garrison Keillor's daily poem on the Net [Minnesota Public Radio], stretching exercises, then breakfast.

There are additional ways of breaking the barrier of the "noonday demon." One of the very best is to call a friend, write an e-mail, ask a friend to lunch. 

Or,  post a blog.
 

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad your acedia has erupted at last with another blog. It cures my withdrawal symptons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as Philosopher King Yogi said, "It ain't over till it's over." I speak here of acedia. I wonder if you've ever had an attack of such an emotion. Too busy, too talented. "Because I could not stop for . . ."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last two words of my comment triggered my poem for today's blog. It's sprinkled with ideas stolen from this one of yours. Do you know Wallace Stevens's "Idea of Order at Key West"? The Madeline in my poem is Madeline De Frees whom I knew at Port Townsend.

      So thanks for the trigger as well as the treatise of acedia. I write best in mornings, not afternoon.

      Delete
  3. You and I have talked more than once about Norris' wonderful book--and what a favor she did for her readers in gathering so many statements about and experiences with acedia. I use this concept in my leadership class when I talk about managing the emotions. It's not the vehement emotions that we deal with 99% of the time, it's the "gray scale," mid-range emotions, especially the feeling of boredom or restlessness, that we confront most often. I think often about those monks wrestling with the noonday demon. We wrestle now with distraction. The sacrament has brought me great peace in recent years, and a greater ability to concentrate, to attend.

    Your own comments about acedia and your antidotes for it are terrific. Thanks for the thoughts and the counsel.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Latin America we heard the term "once" (pronounced own-say)referring to a short snack. "Once" means eleven. It got its name because there are eleven letters in the word "aguardiente,"--firewater When the Monks took a little nip in late morning they said they were having an "once," a euphemism that didn't sound so bad.

      Delete
  4. Larry - I love the new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had meant to read your new post after we visited Austin two weeks ago, but just now getting to it. As I think I mentioned to you, this line of thought reminds me (not surprisingly) of Andrew Solomon's book "The Noonday Demon: an Atlas of depression"--it's a much more engaging read than the title may suggest though it certainly does have an atlas-like feel. He is sometimes tedious but his intro chapter on depression and his chapter on the history of depression are quite good.

    In the history section Solomon cites the 5th century christian aesthetic as describing 6th combatant in the 19th Psalm as the noonday demon which "produces dislike of place where one is, disgust, disdain, and contempt for other men, and sluggishness." Cassian's description is a bit more active less indifferent than the one that you offer (though you do suggest the "sucking" of intellectual and spiritual energy). Solomon continues by saying that Cassian saw the noonday demon as the "thing that you can see clearly in the brightest part of the day but that nonetheless comes to wrench your soul away from God." That about gets it right I think--maybe it is the contrast between the light of day and the mood, a contradiction the mind and heart can't quite make sense of.

    Building on this idea, Solomon explains why he chose this as his title: "because it describes so exactly what one experiences in depression. The image serves to conjure the terrible feeling of invasion that attends...There is something brazen about depression. Most demons--most forms of anguish--rely on the cover of night; to see them clearly is to defeat them. Depression stands in full glare of the sun, unchallenged by recognition. You can know all the why and the wherefore and suffer just as much as if you were shrouded in ignorance." I love the thought of depression as brazen, as invasive, maybe because it is personified into something real.

    As you suggest here, action is in order. Cassian suggests manual labor. I like what you say here--meditation, routine, stimulation. It occurs to me that anything which can wet/water (in contrast to the emotional dryness you speak of) the soul is worthwhile. For me usually a show like Downton Abbey (btw Ali and I have knocked out 4 episodes since your/Cam's recommendation) or a good novel can help. But during times of extreme dryness and indifference, I have to rely on the tried and true, the ritualistic. This might be scripture for some; recently for me it is a few scenes from the LOTR or Moonstruck (learned this from Lora via you) or a long meditative hike.

    Thanks so much for the post. It found me today mid-fight with the noonday demon, having been all-out sick for two days, sun a shining, weekend hikes and plans ruined, soul needing some stirring and engagement.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete