Friday, January 20, 2012

3 People I Would Rather Not Meet in Heaven--But Maybe Later.


In an effort to be insightful but not mean spirited, I've chosen three people I would rather see--a little later. I know if you D-list 3 people, you think of the Stalins, the Hitlers, the now seemingly indestructible Robert Mugabe.  Help me, here. Why do bad people get the good genes? The man is nearly 90 and still able to kill a few dozen fellow citizens before breakfast.

Well, I've selected three men [are there no bad women in my history data base?] who reside in the interstices of human history. They remain the subject of historical and ethical debate. About the stock falls on, say, Robert E. Lee, someone "proves" "Bobby Lee" could have easily won the Civil War with another 50,000 men.

Here's my list: Robert E. Lee, George McClellan, Douglas MacArthur.


Robert E. Lee:
I do not approach Lee as a professional historian but as a fellow human with more questions than answers. I don't know if I would have the guts to enter into a conversation with him about any particular battle strategy. I would love to hear his response to Pickett's question, "Why did you send my cavalry group 'up the gut' at Gettysburg?" Pickett's broken charge did lead him once, years later, to say, "That old man killed my army."

I would wonder aloud why a man who contended he fought for his "country" and not for slavery did have a 100 slaves while running his father-in-law's plantation, and was known to always ask the man with the bull whip to "lay to." The skin had to fly, he believed, in order for people not to want to run from a situation "worse than death," as one slave put it--towards freedom.

Would someone please ask him what he really meant about Virginia as a "country?" I know the argument about secession, state's rights, etc., but I sometimes wonder, recently, for example, after watching a documentary on Lee, if his own acquired aristocratic roots through marriage added to his perception of Virginia as a country--a piece of real estate that had bragging rights on Jefferson, Adams, Washington, etc. Was pride a factor?

And why the painful slaughter of his troops, now boys, endured the last two weeks before calling it quits and going to Appomattox to turn over his sword to a more common, blue collar Grant, the embodiment of the ethos that I admit I admire more than spangles, mint juleps under the mangroves, served by enslaved human beings.

George McClellan:
Had I written this 3 weeks ago, I would have happily described George McClellan as the worst general in the history of the US army. Recent research rescues him as someone who brought order and obedience to the Army of the Potomac. For me, however, he remains a metaphor--someone who can get ready, plan carefully, put a lot of talk and spit and polish, as we used to say, into a project.  He knew how to dress for a ball, but he couldn't dance.  And though his men respected him, he had no respect for President Lincoln, whom he called a "Gorilla," in a letter to his wife.

But he could never deliver.

I had a collegue years ago who spent more time talking about his credentials than about the art of teaching. He read books with such care that he refused to fully open the book for fear the spine would pop. He never annotated because he feared marring the pages. And he was genius enough not to have to annotate. He never finished his degree, no matter how many leaves he said he needed and how many more research assistants he demanded to finally deliver the Great American Dissertation. But nothing ever happened---especially in the classroom. I once suggested, out of administrative fiat, that "There is more to teaching than sitting on the edge of the desk and talking randomly about 'ideas' and meandering speculations." Torro Ballistics! He remained the McClellan of the classroom.

Douglas MacArthur:
To lead an army of men into battle, a general must obviously have an abundance of ego. My so-called "personal" encounter with MacArthur came through the papers during the Korean War. I knew of the famous promise to the Philippines: "I shall return." And he did--in a carefully staged "action" photo sequence. I know, it's not the first time the military has "photoshopped" a so-called "scene" of military success in order to pull yet more money into the Military Industrial Complex. After all, it's one of the few viable manufacturing businesses left in America.

It takes a lot of Ford cars to equal the profit on the sale of one F-15 fighter to Saudi Arabia. The glitz and  fudging aside, that, by the way, continues in Afghanistan. General Be-tray-us taught an unlearned Obama the art of smoke and mirrors in the name of "surge." And it continues.

My disenchantment with MacArthur started during the Korean War. He seemed like another military savior in khaki, dark glasses, the storming of Inchon and the systematic push of the overrated North Korean army from Pusan all the way to the frozen Chosen Reservoir. He and Ridgeway seemed incomparable.

Then came the Chinese. MacArthur, forgetting who leads the armed forces in our country, opted openly for an atomic bomb attack on Chinese forces. He tried to ride over Truman, the least understood and least appreciated president in our history. No, he was not Lincoln, but he understood the Constitution and could see the dark specter of the military thrusting its fist into the Executive Office. He also ignored demographics. Mao, in response, said, "we can afford 3 million soldiers."

Later, it became clear, once the Wall collapsed that secret records revealed Stalin's willingness to join China and go to war with the US. It's common knowledge today that most of the so-called North Korean air force was comprised of Russian pilots.

My approach would be quiet and courteous. I have not forgotten what such men have done to try and keep us free. And now that MacArthur lives where there is no war, I can only wonder whether "Old Soldiers" really are willing to "fade away."

In the Other World we remain essentially what we are here. True, the softening continues; the love for others increases; and finally, our perspective changes.

Given the Other Worldly context, I am perplexed to know what doctors and generals spend their time doing there.

6 comments:

  1. They play bridge with undertakers and lawyers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? This is perfect. Now, ex-professors, on the other hand, . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. donny, now you're talking my language. I hadn't thought along those lines. Still stuck on professors who will commence professing immediately. Lonesome Dove would rather saunter off to the Bali THERE than listen to a lecture, anyway. It's been an interesting spiritual exercise, thinking about people I would like to meet after discounting divine figures and loved ones [including friends such as you]. There aren't many left in our world who come immediately to mind, are there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe family history helps us expand the list. I have a great grandmother whose small biography I read made me want to meet her and thank her for not giving up and a great grandfather who served a mission in Ireland from 1899 to 1902. I have read his journal at least three times, twice while making transcripts of it.

      Delete
  4. You mentioned Harry Truman as the most under-rated president of our century. I second that. He's a man who deserves the thanks of a lot of Americans who didn't know at the time what they had in him as a leader. David McCullough's biography of Truman helped me realize how remarkable he was.

    Sorry, I'll add figure from Church history that I want to thank someday, somewhere in heaven: B.H. Roberts. He was a towering figure in the lives of many hundreds of missionaries whom he trained over the years. He and Talmage were the intellectual beacons of orthodox belief in that generation of the Church, but Roberts was the one who took all comers in public debates and other gatherings in the days when the Church was maligned almost universally. He trained missionaries to teach the gospel--the bedrock doctrines--not the social gospel. I admire his heroic struggles with depression--and his constant battle with his own ego and need for affirmation. After one general conference talk that fell flat (in his opinion) he was morose. He went up the canyon to the Pioneer Monument and sat there all day. I suppose his early poverty and the rough, frontier life he lived as a kid, haunted him. He smoked at a early age and was virtually illiterate until late adolescence. One day, while walking somewhere, he said aloud to himself, "Will I ever be able to read a book?" A voice said to him, "Yes, and write them too."

    Most of the time, he chose the high ground. He and Talmage died in the same year. What a heavy year that must have been for the Church.

    There are others, so many others. Your question has brought many good thoughts to mind.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete