Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Books I Have Reread

In my winter years, traveling lighter forced me to bring only a few of my paper and ink friends to Austin.  Several boxes [1,000 books], keep each other company in my rented home in Rexburg.

I spent so many years reading books for the first time that I never believed I would live long enough [and forget so much] to actually begin rereading my library, once I retired in 2005.

Francois Mauriac, France’s “Man for All Seasons,” said of rereading: “If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads.” Mauriac, a man of both mind and heart, opposed French involvement in Vietnam.  Again, shackled to a follow-up president who didn’t/couldn’t[?] read history, we found ourselves up to our necks in snakes, which made Vietnam an ongoing metaphor for all the other wars we would go out into the world and try and lose.

Johnson and Westmoreland could not finish what Kennedy started [and here I just assumed he read history books after swimming in the White House pool.]  Let me return, then, to books that reflect my “ heart.”

Sorry, I digress again.  Mauriac also disliked Albert Camus, that always popular but overrated favorite of restless, uprooted Existential undergrads. Who would want to read the likes of Samuel Johnson and John Donne before graduating?

You might expect at least a short list of my constant friends.  That would bore you and call unnecessary attention to me, T.S. Eliot’s “old man in a dry season.”  My choices?  One disgruntled student said he didn't like the “Old, thick books," required for my course.

Remember, there is a second, third, etc. reason for rereading.  We simply forget what we've read.  However, when I heard of a French journalist who had been kidnapped in Lebanon, with nothing else at hand, read War and Peace 17 times.  I am guessing he was rereading for more reasons than simply fearing he would forget. Reading keeps us sane.

Now I enjoy the wandering months.  Yes, I have a bibliophile’s Wanderslust. I simply follow the desire where it leads;  those moments when I simply “follow my bliss” [Joseph Campbell].  Nobel Peace Prize winner, Swede Tomas Transtromer’s poetry trilogy is in the mail from Amazon. . . .

What we read ends up being what our hearts need.  This assumes you’re centered enough to know those often evasive inner needs.  Reading cures and assuages our uncertainties; reading assures us, says C.S. Lewis, that we’re not alone.

And like medications, one person’s book just may kill you, while another suffers the same ailment and recuperates nicely reading the same lethal print.  In other words, I don’t expect two of my grandchildren who are fluent in reading and speaking Spanish to ever read Gabriel Marquez’ One Hundred Years of Solitude.  And yet they will always be my special angels.

The choice is theirs—and yours.  At this point there’s plenty of space in my wobbly oblong circle of life and eternal life for this greatest of contemporary writers and Columbia’s reading gift to the whole world.  There is, in fact, space enough for all—an eternal landscape which will encompass the rich diversity and style as numerous and rich as there is sand on all the ocean shores.

5 comments:

  1. Dang, I kept waiting for a top 20 or 30 list of rereads--of course I know some that would make the list (e.g. 100 years, Anna Karenina) which I have failed to complete. And I guess that's why you avoided the list, a guilt inducing list for some reading your blog.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Larry, I am reading 100 Years for the first time right now. it coincides with the end of my pregnancy and the first couple of months of Silas's life (it's taking me longer than ever to read a full novel) and because of that, and because I haven't touched magic realism since college, I don't think I'll ever forget it. It's a beautiful book. Like it says on the back, it should be required reading for all mankind. Like the bible. Of course it's on your top list. I would also love a formal top 50 list. I would read every book.

    Love the blog. Am following! If you'd like to see pictures of the baby, go to keenanandkos.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Larry.
    I too want a list of your favorite reads. My literary experience would have been vastly different without Dostoevsky, Nabokov and Tolstoy (Anna!). But then again, I find the books I have read the most are the simpler reads: the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen and any piece of classic literature written for children (Peter, Alice, Pip).
    I love the blog. It's enlightening to learn about Thompson history, thoughts and opinions from a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "medicine" analogy of books to medicine explains why I hesitate to make a list. I feel vulnerable, prescribing the "wrong" medicine, perhaps. And I'm tender about my friends. If I love a book or film, i.e., the Danish film, "After the Wedding," I'm sure someone will be offended somehow. I am moved to tears by the epic-expansiveness of 100 Years--and I love Ursula, the Mother of All in 100 Years. She is Earth Mother and the book, as you say, "the story of the "Bible." Quotation marks because it's not our Christian-Judeo book--but full of energy and darkness and goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Several have asked just what my laundry list of books to read and reread would be. Again, the "medicine" analogy should help here. Some books work for our head/heart aches, others don't. Motrin is not a panacea. I fear lists: they call attention to the lists makers. Here, then, I would make an appeal for an organic, ever-expanding and contracting list. Different illnesses, different medicines. The Times and Spaces of our short lives always shifting. If you haven't read "Catcher in the Rye" by the time you're 19, forget it. Too late. A year ago Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude" would not be a Top-Ten Hit. I just reread it for the 3rd time, laughing and weeping. It is the Ur-Story of mankind, the Spanish/Latin Book of Genesis, an Old Testament for new, restless young readers. But I am still happier with my Judeo Old Testament, the KJV, I cut my spiritual teeth on. On a desert island, with space enough for more than ten books, I would want sacred texts: The Bible, Book of Mormon, The Pearl of Great Price, the Mahabarata. The Koran? I've just finished the Hazrat Ahmad translation and commentary [1461 pages]. Thomas Carlyle said "no European can understand the Koran]. I'm one of those "Europeans." If I: knew Arabic perhaps the language would carry me but it's a recitation [literarlly], without narrative, without a story. Thomas a Kempis, Aquinas and certainly Augustine's "Confessions" would easily replace it in my steamer-trunk. So? No list, though I love the Russians and nothing is greater than "War and Peace." Tolstoy has discovered for me what one film title calls "The Secret Life of Words." Good luck, Mates. As my Ashley says: "It's all in the Journey."

    ReplyDelete